University of Kentucky
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
177 F. Paul Anderson Tower
Lexington, KY 40506
Prof. Dr. Y.-T. Cheng (Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Kentucky)
Dr. Mark W. Verbrugge (Director, Chemical Sciences and Materials Systems Laboratory, General Motors Global R&D Center, Warren, Michigan 48090)
August 2004 – August 2008
Bachelors in Chemical Engineering: at University Institute of Chemical Technology (UICT), Mumbai, India.
Since August 2008
A PhD candidate at the University of Kentucky in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
Rutooj’s research is mainly focused on understanding and improving lithium ion batteries through mathematical modeling and experiments. He modeled diffusion induced stresses to understand the mechanical degradation of anode material in lithium ion battery. He is also doing experimental work and trying-out novel anode materials for better battery life.
1. “Modeling Diffusion-Induced Stress in Nanowire Electrode Structures,” Rutooj Deshpande, Yang-Tse Cheng, Mark W. Verbrugge, J. Power Sources 195, 5081 (2010). (doi: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.02.021)
2. “Effects of Concentration-Dependent Elastic Modulus on Diffusion-Induced Stresses for Battery Applications,” Rutooj Deshpande, Yue Qi, and Yang-Tse Cheng, J. Electrochem. Soc. 157, A967 (2010). (doi: 10.1149/1.3454762)
3. “Mesopores inside electrode particles can change the Li-ion transport mechanism and diffusion-induced stress,” S. J. Harris, R. Deshpande, Y. Qi, I. Dutta, Y.-T. Cheng, J. Materials Research 8, 1433 (2010). (doi: 10.1557/JMR.2010.0183)
4. “Diffusion Induced Stresses and Strain Energy in a Phase-Transforming Spherical Electrode Particle,” Rutooj Deshpande, Yang-Tse Cheng, Mark W. Verbrugge, Adam Timmons, J. Electrochem. Soc. 158(6), A718(2011). (doi: 10.1149/1.3565183)
5.”Liquid Metal Alloys as Self-Healing Negative Electrodes for Lithium Ion Batteries”, R. D. Deshpande, J. C. Li, Y. T. Cheng and M. W. Verbrugge, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158 (8), A845-A849 (2011).(doi: 10.1149/1.3591094)
Presentations and Seminars:
- Guest Lecture (CME/MSE 599),”Understanding and applications of super capacitors”, Chemical and materials engineering department, University of Kentucky, April 26, 2011.
- Presented a poster “Effects of SEI (solid-electrolyte interphase) on the coupled mechanical-chemical degradation of lithium ion battery electrodes” at 2011 Kentucky Statewide Energy Workshop, March 14, 2011, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.
- Oral presentation on “Effects of the mechanical properties and thickness of SEI (Solid-electrolyte Interface) on the coupled mechanical-chemical degradation of lithium ion battery electrodes”, MRS (Materials Research Society) Fall Meeting, November 29 to December 03, 2010, Boston, MA.
- Oral presentation on “Diffusion induced stress in a phase transforming spherical and cylindrical insertion electrodes for lithium ion batteries” at AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers) Annual Meeting, November 07-12, 2010, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Presented a poster “Effects of SEI (solid-electrolyte interphase) on the coupled mechanical-chemical degradation of lithium ion battery electrodes” at Energy storage beyond lithium ion: materials perspective, October 7, 2010, Oak Ridge national Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- Invited talk, “Importance of research and different aspects of chemical engineering research”, Sri Guru Gobind Singhji (SGGS) Engineering College, Swami Ramanand Tirth Marathwada University Nanded, August 27,2010, Nanded, India
- Invited talk “Diffusion induces stresses in nanowire lithium ion battery electrode” at General Motors Indian Science Laboratory (ISL), September 02, 2010, Bangalore, India.
- Presented a poster “The influence of mesopores inside micron-sized electrode on diffusion and diffusion-induced-stress” at Kentucky Innovation and Entrepreneurship Conference, April 06, 2010, Lexington, Kentucky.
- Oral presentation on “Effect of concentration dependent Young’s modulus on diffusion induced stresses for battery applications” at ECS (Electrochemical Society) Spring Meeting, April 25-30, 2010, Vancouver, Canada.
- Oral presentation on “Mathematical models for optimizing electrode shape, size and charging conditions for durable Li ion battery” at the MRS (Materials Research Society) Fall Meeting, November 30-December 04, 2009, Boston, MA.
- Oral presentation on “Lithium ion batteries for energy storage: Modeling diffusion induced stresses in nanostructured electrode” at AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers) Annual Meeting, November 08-13, 2009, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Presented a poster “Diffusion induced stresses in lithium ion battery electrode” at Kentucky Innovation and Entrepreneurship Conference, April 07, 2009, Louisville, Kentucky.